These are my personal experiences in Kyrgyzstan. They do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Thursday, June 30, 2005

the golden rule

I don't think it's dangerous to be sincere. It might hurt, and might get you into some un-fun situations--I know I've messed up my share of relationships because of my bluntness. But I truly believe that everything works out for the better when we're all honest with one another. Or at least, it's supposed to work out for the better.

I try to be honest in all my relationships. If I like you, you'll know it. If something sours our relationship, well, you'll know that too. And if it's actually something that we can't get over and things are going bad, then it might be time for the relationship to change...or end...as all relationships do at some point.

But if the relationship is actually still healthy--just temporarily bruised for whatever reason, a misunderstanding perhaps, my acknowledgement of the "bruise" often permanently scars the relationship, sending it downhill, where it eventually plateaus into the monotony of a shallow aquaintanceship that isn't fulfilling for anyone involved. WHY? Maybe I grew up with the wrong idea of what friendships were, and I could accept that, but I would be dumbfounded for the rest of my life because I would always think that I was living by the golden rule. THE golden rule. The one that we all learned in kindergarten as a foundation for our personal ethics that taught us to treat others as we wanted to be treated.

I think that may be my problem. I AM living by that outdated rule. Who does that in this day and age where all people care about is money...and themselves? I think I should change, and adapt to the sad reality in which I live, but something inside me just won't let me. I think I might end up as the only person on earth who truly did learn all that she needed to know in kindergarten. :::sigh::::::

Did that make any sense?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope we're okay! kidding, i know we are. of course it makes sense, and from my experience it becomes a conversation about two things: expectations and consideracy. getting into the "treating others as you want to be treated" gets messy because think about your bluntness...there are situations where you have probably been honest to the sacrifice of something more important than that honesty. at the same rate, i'm sure there are situations where you could never have accepted honesty from someone about how they were feeling or their opinion of you at the time, and continued to think of them at all in a positive way. i'm rambling. that's a rule that may be true when it comes to being considerate of others, but any time you will make someone uncomfortable, it's possible that there needs to be an exception to the rule. just that there is that possibility. done preaching.

2:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In response to this entry, yes, I think that not everyone likes honesty at certain points, kinda like Steve said, and it may actually make things worse. And because most people don't share your whole outlook on things, they clash ideals with you, and feelings get hurt. Specifically, with males and females, I believe that for the most (90something percent of the time) part, life is a game. It's a game where men try to succeed at getting women to engage in some sort of relationship that is more than friendship, whatever that may be. Which is why it's hard for guys to be "just friends" with most girls (VERY hard). It's just the way it is. We can't help it. I guess that's why most guys are friends with other guys, rather than girls. Think about it...what do you think Raabia?

3:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home