These are my personal experiences in Kyrgyzstan. They do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Monday, January 09, 2006

the clouds are clearing

Maybe the sky in Kyrgyzstan is finally clearing. On Friday I discovered the hottest, most powerful shower in this country. I can’t remember the last time I was in a shower so long that my fingers turned prune-y. Then I went to the aftovoxal (bus station) to go visit Rachel in Jalal-abad, and I got a 20 som discount off the 150 som fare because a taxi driver recognized me. Late Friday night in Jalal-abad, Rachel and I took a cab back to her house and our driver didn’t charge us for the ride. That’s pretty much unheard of in this country where the taxi fare is ridiculously high after dark. Saturday afternoon, our lunch at the only Turkish restaurant in Jalal-abad was paid for by a friendly Turkish guy who came over and practiced his English with us. Saturday night I had Betty Crocker brownies thanks to Betsy, and on Sunday I had an amazing, hot banya at Rachel’s house (2 baths in 3 days! whoa!). And I got two packages full of food. And today I had a really good burrito with real enchilada sauce. Karma kicks my butt so often, but it’s really great when it gets off my back and good stuff comes around. Maybe all I needed was some good karma (and a shower) to clear up my mind and allow me to focus on what’s important…changing the world. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home